It’s common to experience a wide range of intense emotions when going through cancer or supporting someone close to you through cancer.
Many people find it useful to talk through these emotions with a trained psychologist who can provide reassurance, guidance and teach coping strategies to help you manage.
Whether you are starting treatment, are just finishing up with treatment or supporting someone else, our professional psychologists are experts in providing support to people and their whanau with the distress that cancer can bring about.
Emotional wellbeing program
What are psychological services?
Depending on your needs, you may be referrered through to the team of Psychologists at Cancer Society or to Andy Leggat who works from a private clinic. All of the Psycologists are experienced in structuring sessions to meet your specific needs, working with individuals and whanau. The team at the Cancer Society also offer group sessions for people who might benefit from interacting with others in similar circumstances
Some of our group programs and services run by the Cancer Society include:
- Relaxation and stress management
- Moving Forward (for those post treatment)
- Tips and tools (educational seminar series)
- Coping with cancer (Community talks)
- Light of Love (Mandarin speaking support group)
For specific information about our services, please refer to the link below.
How we can help: Group programmes
Benefits of emotional wellbeing program
What are benefits of psychological services?
All the Under the Canopy psycologists are committed to helping people negotiate the emotional and social challenges of cancer and its treatments
Talking with one of our team members in an individual counselling session or attending one of our many group programmes can help with the following:
- Coming to terms with a new diagnosis
- Learning to manage difficult emotions such as anger, frustration, grief, sadness, anxiety or depression
- Learning stress management techniques
- Talking with health professionals - what questions to ask and how
- Addressing communication with family members and talking with children
- Learning helpful coping strategies including relaxation and mindfulness
- Making the decisions that are right for you
- Coping with treatment, side effects, medical procedures and tests
- Moving on with life after cancer and regaining confidence
Costs and enrolment
What will these sessions cost?
All program sessions run by the Cancer Society are free of charge regardless of whether they are one-on-one or group sessions.
If you wish to talk to Andy Leggat, session costs are listed below:
||160 + GST